FOR THE SALAD:
5 to 7 ounces olive-oil-packed tuna (2 cans of Fishwife Albacore Tuna)
- 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, juiced, about 1/4 cup
- 5 to 7 ounces olive-oil-packed tuna
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- ½ teaspoon or more finishing salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Handful basil leaves, washed and torn, cilantro sprigs, washed and torn, fresh mint leaves, washed and torn
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a clean glass jar, mix vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt with 1/2 cup hot water. Shake until sugar is dissolved. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add the onions. Let them sit in the hot water, then drain and transfer onions to your vinegar mixture. The pickled onions will be ready to use in an hour, or can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for up to a week.
In a large mixing bowl, dress cucumber and spring onions with the remaining salt and lime juice. It should be fairly wet. Pour into a deep serving plate, along with any extra liquid at the bottom of the bowl.
Use your hands to break tuna into bite-size pieces, directly into the empty mixing bowl. Add avocado, pickled onion to taste, and 1 tablespoon of pickling liquid from the jar, and mix gently with your hands to dress. Scatter over the cucumber mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Cover with torn herbs, and generously drizzle with olive oil. Serve and enjoy!